Friday, July 29, 2011

Green Light...

I got my "words of wisdom" brief from my lieutenant this afternoon.


Lt. Smith has been in the Air Force for 17 years. He initially started out enlisted, got all the way up to the rank of tech. sgt. and then crossed over to the officer side. He's been on a few Army deployments and had some..encouraging..words for me.


He said, "The Army is a different breed. They're crude, they're dirty and often times unprofessional. There's a good possibility you'll be the only female in your unit. Just don't let them give you shit or treat you inappropriately."


-.- Awesome.


He also told me that grunts don't give a rats ass about public affairs or photography. He said they'll probably give you tasks to do that aren't in your job description or that you don't want to do. But it's best not to argue. Oh! And to be sure not to confuse their first sergeants with Air Force first sergeants..


Our first sergeants are nice approachable people that are high enough in the chain of command, that if you have problems with someone, you can always go talk to them. You can call them any time, day or night and they are there to take care of their people. Army first sergeants are apparently only their to rip new ones in people and get down to business.


Soooooo... the summary of his advice was, they'll treat you like crap, hit on you and give you shit, but don't take it. Annnnnnd.. don't talk to their first sergeants, don't complain and don't call anyone "sir." Army enlisted hate being called... sir.


SIDE NOTE: I got yelled at quite a bit when I was stationed at Fort Meade for tech school. Its a DOD school, so all services attend, but Army primarily has control of the base. And God help you if you called an enlisted soldier, "sir." The typical response was, "I'm not a SIR! I work for a living!! I am a SERGEANT." ("Sir" is apparently reserved for officers only in the Army.) And my usual response was,"Yes. Sorry siiiiiiiirr----arrgennt.." It's like when someone tells you to quit apologzing and you say sorry again.


Anyway, SSDD.


On a lighter note, here are some pictures I finally got around to downloading! Enjoy. :)








1 comment:

  1. Yes, ssssiiirr ageant. ha ha, that made me laugh out loud. Stay tough and don't let anyone push you around! - Michelle

    ReplyDelete